The Psychology of Self-Doubt | Hidden Brain Media
Perfectionism, Imposter Syndrome, and Anxiety | You Got This!
- only relax, feel competent, proud until boss says "Good job"
- maintain the scam
- another day that's gone by where no one's figured out I'm incompetent
- unable to take pride in our own accomplishments
- I can be proud of something & someone disappointed in it: completely foreign
Falling short doesn't exist
Example in the tech industry¶
- Do they know enough?
- fear of judgement
- Does everyone know more than they do?
- Feeling like a fraud
- people are learning new frameworks
- while they're learning the previous ones
Tech celebs Wishes they were like them
Side projects - too tired - never releases them
Works long hours
Afraid to ask for help
Attends more events
Not feeling they're good enough -> Working long hours, attending events, learning on the side -> neglecting mental and physical health -> not feeling good enough
Dreading daily standups in the morning - am I productive enough
Needs external validation - doesn't work for me
Bad emotional state
takes criticism personally
unable to cope
Common Issues in Tech
- Imposter Syndrome
Everyone is more popular than you are
People who are out there It's their job to explore new frameworks
If you need to prove something to yourself, then you don't really believe in yourself